The Centre for Advanced Photonics & Process Analysis (CAPPA) is a research centre working in the fields of applied optics and photonics and is based at Munster Technological University. The centre has an active and varied research portfolio and industrial partners in various sectors including medical devices, electronics, food technology, pharmaceuticals and photonics. CAPPA is currently seeking to recruit a research project support individual to work within the centre on the challenging and exciting new projects.
Located on MTU’s Bishopstown Campus in the first instance and reporting to Dr Liam Lewis and falling within general CAPPA reporting and management structures, successful candidates will be primarily based in the CREATE building on MTU’s Bishopstown Campus. On occasion, travel to CAPPA’s labs in the Tyndall National Institute, other local collaborators or attendance at relevant regional and national promotional events may be required.
Duties and responsibilities
The position will provide an opportunity to take on an exciting role within the CAPPA team supporting various photonic research programmes across both fundamental academic (e.g. SFI, EU) and industry focused applied (e.g. EI, direct-funded) research projects. The individual will co-ordinate all of CAPPA’s external business development engagements with local enterprise offices, national and international business developments groups, Science Foundation Ireland, Enterprise Ireland and other bodies as is relevant. Development of outreach activities as well as co-ordinating internal PR and reporting within CAPPA will also be a key element.
Key skills and experience requirement
The successful candidate will be expected to have a strong background experience and understanding in the following areas;
- Coordination of brand development activities
- Coordination of social media activities
- Content creation including blogs, website content and content for external stakeholders
- Maintenance and updating of official CAPPA website
- Liaising with local, regional and national business development organisations
- Development and design of promotional materials including brochures and flyers
- Overseeing public relations and internal and external communications
- Building and developing relationships with industrial clients and key stakeholders
- Creating, planning and implementation of digital and traditional marketing campaigns
- Event planning, coordination and implementation, for industry and academic events
- Creation of reports and internal communication documents and procedures
- Broad knowledge of the national and international funding landscape
- Creation of outreach activities including engagement with primary and secondary schools
Other Desirable criteria related to the candidate include:
- Strong communication skills
- Proven ability to work in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Knowledge of GDPR compliance and analysis of current procedures
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work well in teams and support development of others, as well as a strong ability to work on her/his own initiative
To facilitate the role, the chosen candidate will have support from the wider CAPPA management team and MTU administrative staff. The candidate will be expected to be able to work independently to an agreed series of targets and goals.
- A Level 9 degree from a recognised degree-awarding authority in business, marketing or a cognate area.
- At least 2 years of relevant postgraduate experience
- Thorough knowledge and experience of leading marketing activities in a B2B role
Previous experience working in the optics research or business development areas would be an advantage.
Terms of the Appointment
The position will be initially for a period of 12 months with a possibility for extension depending on funding, performance and the candidate’s suitability. The successful candidate would be expected to start as soon as possible after receiving an offer.
Remuneration will be on the Senior Researcher salary scale (€45,413 – 56,162) in line with experience.
The Interview Process
At interview, the candidates will be assessed under a number of criteria:
- Appropriateness of the candidate to the role and assessment of current skillset to the outlined criteria for the role
- Ability to manage projects, develop new ideas and contribute to the overall enhancement of the CAPPA centre through marketing and PR related activities
- Fluency in written and presentation skills (English)
- Independent motivation and team contributions
Closing time and dates
Applications by MTU eRecruitment systems only. Applications will not be accepted in any other format. Please log on to www.mtu.ie/vacancies. Closing date for receipt of completed applications is 1pm on Thursday 2nd February 2023.